What's new
Streak Gaming Online Gambling Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina legislature reported to have the votes to legalize mobile sports betting

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

dani3839

Administrator
Staff member
Source - GamingAmerica

Motion could be passed before the legislature adjourns on June 30.
cials in North Carolina have declared that they have enough votes to legalize online wagering by the end of the legislative session.
This means that there is a possibility that betting will be allowed as soon as the autumn’s football season comes around.

The legislative session this year is a short one. The legislature convened on May 18 and will adjourn on June 30.

The bill in question is Senate Bill 688. This passed the state senate with bi-partisan support last year, and backers claim they now have the
support needed to get the bill through the house.

Governor Roy Cooper is already on record as saying that he would sign the bill into law.

In an interview with WRAL News, bill sponsor Democrat State Senator Paul Lowe had the following to say on the matter:
“We just want to make sure we have drummed up the votes, and I think we have. I feel confident about it.”

From the other side of the aisle came the words of Republican Representative Jason Saine: “We’re ready to rock’n’roll. I’ve not
heard any new opposition. I think we have a pretty smooth glide pack once we do kind of start rolling into session.”

While Sports Betting has grown tremendously over the last four years since the Supreme Court overturned PASPA, the Southeast
has lagged slightly behind the rest of the country. While this is likely due to deep-seated cultural prejudices, there is evidence that the tide is slowly turning.

Not just North Carolina but Georgia, too, has a Sports Betting bill winding its way through the legislature. If these are successful,
it will be a great victory for betting, as the South is well-known for the ardent enthusiasm of its sports fans.