What's new
Streak Gaming Online Gambling Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online gambling bill defeated

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

judyb57

Super Moderator
Online gambling bill defeated
25 June 2008

By Vin Narayanan

The House Financial Services Committee rejected a bill Wednesday that would have prohibited the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve from proposing and implementing regulations to enforce the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.

In its mark-up session, the Committee adopted an amendment proposed by Rep. Peter King (R-NY) that would not only stop the implementation of any UIGEA regulations, but would also force the Treasury Department, the Justice Department and the Federal Reserve to sit down and define unlawful Internet gambling. King said that this "was a banking issue, not a gambling issue" and that the banking industry shouldn't be in the position of determining what is legal and illegal.

The King amendment was defeated by the full committee with a vote of 32 for and 32 against. The original bill proposed by Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Tex.) was defeated in a voice vote.

The defeat is a blow to both the online gambling industry, which has been looking for ways to repeal the UIGEA, and the banking industry, which wants no part in trying to regulate the online gaming industry.

"The PPA is surprised that the Financial Services Committee today failed to clarify what constitutes 'unlawful Internet gambling' under the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA)," said Alfonse D'Amato, chairman of the Poker Players Alliance. "The King Amendment would have required a separate formal rulemaking with an administrative law judge to determine the definition of unlawful Internet gambling."

"The Federal Reserve, Department of Treasury and the banking industry have all testified before Congress that the lack of a definition of 'unlawful Internet gambling' makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to enforce this law and would result in a broader review and denial of financial transactions because they could possibly be deemed unlawful under UIGEA," D'Amato added.

Kraziegurl79

Junior Streaker
I swear that we are losing more and more of our freedom in this "free country" everyday!!! I would not want to see what's in store for 10 years from now!angry

judyb57

Super Moderator
so now what???????????

This is not the end of it taz, not by a long shot hon. This was just one hit in the gut. I believe we will be hearing more REAL soon on this!!!

CareyG

Owner
Staff member
Yeah we will. This just slowed things down once again!!:hit

Last edited:

vixen777

Owner
Staff member
Sp now it is still not known how to regulate it, if it is to be regulated or what is to be regulated! angry

iataz

Lifetime Streaker
I still think it has to do with the letter the NFL sent the financial committe
I feel that if the NFL was for this instead of against this.. the vote would have been a lot different

C

ceks79

mmh424

Pro Streaker
SOOOOOOO disappointed I have sent an email to Barney Frank thanking him for his effort and requesting that he continue to fight the UIGEA, also sent angry emails to many of my public officials asking for my rights, as this is unconstitutional. Please visit and support iMEGA http://www.imega.org/index.php They are currently challenging the constitutionality of UIGEA in the courts, good to have them on our side!