What's new
Streak Gaming Online Gambling Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Main Dishes

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

CareyG

Owner
Staff member
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 lbs ground round beef
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas
  • 1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
  • 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

METHOD

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).
2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.
3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

6 Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

Yield: Serves four.

judyb57

Super Moderator
15 minute TACO IN A PAN

Ingredients

· 1 pound lean ground beef

· 2 cups of water

· 1 pkg (35g) taco seasoning mix

· 2 cups of quick cooking rice (Minute rice)

· 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation

Brown beef in a large non-stick frypan. Add water and taco seasoning mix, stir and bring to a boil.

Stir in rice. Sprinkle with cheese on top. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Top with coarsely crushed tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and sour cream.

judyb57

Super Moderator
Chinese Double Dippers

Be sure you serve these tidbits along with bowls of sweet-and-sour sauce and spicy mustard (I think dunking them is the best part? and so will your company!)

Cooking Time: 15 min

Ingredients

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
1 can (8 ounces) bamboo shoots, drained and chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons chopped scallion tops
2 tablespoons milk
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons oil, or more as needed

Instructions

1.In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the oil.

2.In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Fry heaping teaspoonfuls of the chicken mixture in the oil, about 10 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Makes about 25 pieces.

Notes
If you want to fry these in advance, you can do that. Just cover and refrigerate them, then pop them in a warmed oven for a few minutes and serve.

CareyG

Owner
Staff member
[h=1]Bacon-wrapped Pork Roast[/h]
[h=3]INGREDIENTS[/h]
  • 1 pork loin (1 1/2 pounds)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 lb bacon, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup white wine
[h=3]METHOD[/h]1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Pat pork roast dry with paper towels. Season pork roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Sear pork on all sides until browned, about 10 minutes total. Remove from heat.

2 Rub pork with chopped rosemary; wrap with bacon, overlapping strips slightly. Tie pork roast wih kitchen string.
3 Roast in oven, basting occasionally with cooking juices, until internal temperature is 145°F on a meat thermometer, 35 o 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Transfer pork to a serving dish.

4 Make pan sauce. Place the roasting skillet on the stove top over low heat. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrap up any browned bits from the pan bottom. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan. Skim off the fat. Reheat to serving temperature if necessary.
Yield: Serves 4.

CareyG

Owner
Staff member
[h=1]Beef Stroganoff[/h]
It helps to cut thin strips of the beef by putting the meat into the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes first.

[h=3]INGREDIENTS[/h]

• 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1 pound of top sirloin or tenderloin, cut thin into 1-inch wide by 2 1/2-inch long strips
  • 1/3 cup chopped shallots (can substitute onions)
  • 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon of dry tarragon or 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 cup of sour cream at room temperature
[h=3]METHOD[/h]

1 Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Increase the heat to high/med-high and add the strips of beef. You want to cook the beef quickly, browning on each side, so the temp needs to be high enough to brown the beef, but not so high as to burn the butter. You may need to work in batches. While cooking the beef, sprinkle with some salt and pepper. When both sides are browned, remove the beef to a bowl and set aside.
2 In the same pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook the shallots for a minute or two, allowing them to soak up any meat drippings. Remove the shallots to the same bowl as the meat and set aside.

3 In the same pan, melt another 3 Tbsp of butter. Increase heat to medium high and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. While cooking, sprinkle the nutmeg and the tarragon on the mushrooms.
4 Reduce the heat to low and add the sour cream to the mushrooms. You may want to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin the sauce (or not). Mix in the sour cream thoroughly. Do not let it come to a simmer or boil or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the beef and shallots. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately over egg noodles, fettucine, potatoes, or rice. (Potatoes, rice, and gluten-free pasta are gluten-free options.)

CareyG

Owner
Staff member
[h=1]Buttermilk Fried Chicken[/h]
[h=3]INGREDIENTS[/h]
  • 1 (3 pound) fryer (see Wikipedia on the difference between broilers, fryers, and roasting birds), cut into pieces
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme) or a teaspoon each of the dried herbs.
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups grapeseed oil, or other high smoke-point oil such as canola oil, or peanut oil
[h=3]METHOD[/h]1 Soak chicken overnight (at least 8 hours and up to two days) in buttermilk with onions, herbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper. (Regarding the use of buttermilk, my mother has had good results from soaking chicken in plain yogurt instead of buttermilk.)
2 Drain in colander, leaving some herbs on chicken. In a large paper or plastic (sturdy) bag, mix flour with seasonings. Meanwhile, heat 2 cups oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet (cast iron, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum - something that can take the heat) on medium high heat until a pinch of flour starts to sizzle when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking). Remember when working with hot oil, always have a pan lid close by.

3 Place chicken pieces in bag with flour and shake until thoroughly coated. Add chicken to hot pan and fry on 1 side for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and then use tongs to turn the pieces over and fry for another 10-12 minutes, again until golden brown.
Be careful to keep the oil hot enough to fry the chicken, but not so high as it burns the chicken. To do this on our electric stove we have to alternate the settings between high to medium high several times while we are cooking.

4 Use tongs to remove chicken from pan. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet or broiling pan for the excess oil to drain. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Leozkie

Newbie Streaker
Hahaha, I'm now hungry because of all the dishes posted on this thread!
I want to eat and drink a lot! :beer

judyb57

Super Moderator
AUNT BEES' SWEDISH MEAT BALLS

2 c. bread cubes
1/2 c. milk (soak, squeeze dry)
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped, sauteed in 2 tbsp. butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. fried herbs or parsley
3 beaten eggs

Mix well, form into 48 small balls (1 1/2 inch in diameter). Brown in
skillet in 1/4 cup butter, add 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic, add more
butter, if needed. Cool meat balls 1/2 hour.

Blend: 2 tsp. tomato paste 1 tsp. beef concentrate Enough water to make
2 cups bouillon

Stir over low heat until thickened.

Just before serving, add 1 cup sour cream. Blend well, heat and serve
with noodles or rice.

sorcer3ss

Staff member
I recently discovered cooking risotto in a rice cooker thanks to my son's partner, she uses the rice cooker all the time for it, so I thought I would give it a go. I bought myself one at K-mart for the grand old price of $13 and discovered it is just so easy!

I chop up a chicken breast, pumpkin, onion, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, capsicum, carrot, and anything else I can find in the fridge, just add it to the arborio rice, I even threw in a teaspoon of curry powder last time and use chicken stock rather than water, you need to experiment yourself with the amount of water ratio to the rice, but if I cook 3/4 cups of rice, I find I need approx 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of water.

judyb57

Super Moderator
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Yield 4-6 servings

Simple oven baked sweet and sour chicken recipe. To spice it up add in
some red pepper flakes or serve with sriracha.

1 tablespoon flour
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
Salt and pepper
Rice for serving
Sliced green onions for garnish

Heat oven to 350F. Sprinkle the one tablespoon of flour in a large
Reynolds Oven Bag. Shake the flour in the bag to distribute. Place the
bag in a 9x13 pan. Add the chicken to the bag. In a small bowl whisk
together the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce. In another
small bowl mix together the cornstarch and the water. Add the cornstarch
mixture to the brown sugar mixture season with salt and pepper then pour
over the chicken in the bag. Close the bag with the tie then turn the
oven bag to coat the chicken with the sauce. Place back in the pan and
cut six 1/2-inch slits in the top of the bag to allow the steam to
escape. Place the pan in the oven allowing room for the bag to expand
without touching the heating elements. Bake for about 30 mins or until
the chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice garnished with green
onions

sorcer3ss

Staff member
That sounds nice Judy, that's the first sweet and sour recipe I have seen that doesn't have pineapple in it.

dani3839

Administrator
Staff member
here's one of my favorites!

Serves: 8-10
Ingredients (for the sauce):
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound 85% fat ground beef
1 pound unseasoned ground pork
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chile powder (I used half Ancho Chile Powder and half Mild Chimayo Chile)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2-15 ounce can tomato sauce (or equivalent volume of home canned tomato sauce)
3-6 ounce cans tomato paste
1-4 ounce can mild green chiles (or fresh equivalent, chopped)
3 cups water

1. In a large skillet sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
2. Add ground beef and ground pork to skillet and brown. Drain if needed.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered for 2 ½ hours. Stir occasionally.

Layering ingredients:
Corn chips (originally recipe specified ‘Doritos’)
Chopped lettuce and tomatoes
Sliced black olives
Grated sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese (mixed equally; use Pepper Jack if you want to spice it up)
Sour Cream
Assembly instructions:
On plate place a layer of corn chips, covered by the sauce, chopped lettuce and tomatoes, olives, cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream.

judyb57

Super Moderator
Inside Out Pizza Casserole

Servings:6
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time:1 hr

1/2 of a 15-ounce package refrigerated pie crust (1 crust)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. bulk pork sausage
1 pkg. (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce OR Prego® Roasted Garlic and Herb Italian Sauce
4 oz. sliced pepperoni, coarsely chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Let the pie crust stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or until it's easy to handle.
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until it's well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat. Pour off any fat.
Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until they're tender. Stir in the sauce and pepperoni and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
Place the crust over the sausage mixture and crimp or flute the edges. Cut several slits in the crust.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let the casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Tip:
Crimping or fluting the edges of the crust helps the crust adhere to the edges of the casserole, making it less likely to shrink.

dani3839

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks sound good and looks easy. I love making casseroles

thanks Judy :)